Sunday, July 26, 2009

Hot Baits



Last evening I fished a place in nearby MA, a place that has offered real good fishing in the last few days. Earlier in the week, I had been introduced to the location with MA CAG member Greg Budd. Greg was using purple mulberry boilies, a bait he had good success with in this spot. It gave me an idea to use my homemade mulberry flavored corn.


Yesterday I started off with two rods out on the bottom. One had my homemade pineapple vodka corn, a flavor that has been my go to bait for the last month. The other hair rig had a kernel of homemade whiskey corn and a kernel of homemade purple mulberry corn (see photo at right). The first 6 fish went for the whiskey/mulberry combo. That prompted me to get rid of the pineapple vodka and replace it with mulberry/whiskey. I proceeded to get hit after hit and when the evening was over, I had banked 13 carp up into the low teens and missed a bunch more. The whiskey/mulberry bait proved to be outstanding. In the past I had often mixed flavors and colors of corn and had very good success.


Here's how I made the mulberry flavored corn. Get a cup or two of mulberries, put them into a blender and liquefy them. Pour the mixture in a jar and add boiled field corn and let it sit for a few days. Keep the jar cover fairly loose since the mixture ferments and forms a gas that will build up pressure on the jar. It's easy to make and very effective. As for the whiskey, just pour a nip of cheap whiskey into a jar of corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment