Thursday, September 24, 2009

Adjustments in Fall


Fall is barely two days old and already I see several changing patterns emerging with my carp fishing. In the last week, I have noticed production decrease big time in the morning fishing (especially on sunny mornings) while more fish are hitting in the evening/ nighttime hours. I have also been catching larger fish with several twenties landed in recent outings. See the photo of 21 lber. caught two days ago just at sunset. I suspect the big fish are going into a fall feeding pattern as they sense the coming of cold weather brought on by very cool nights in the forties and low fifties.

Even the prime baits are changing. Pineapple vodka maize was hot once again this week after not working for 2 months. Scopex, a good late summer/early fall flavor, was also working. Expect the fruity flavors to get hot again in the fall. I've gone back to adding molasses to my method mix as a flavoring, a tactic that worked out real well last fall.

For the next month fishing should be real good in evening/nighttime. Once the real cold weather arrives (November), the warmest part of the day, late afternoon, should be the best. Those have been my productive patterns in the last few years here in RI.

No comments:

Post a Comment