Monday, January 11, 2010

Non-Carpin' Ice Fishin'


There is about 6-8 inches of ice all over the state right now and it seems to be thickening by the day. By now, carp seem to be a distant memory. While a few have been caught around the US though the ice, I have tried and have not been successful at that game.
So, at this time of the year I turn to other fish to keep the rods active and the fishing going. I love to jig through the ice. I'll sometimes go to several ponds in an afternoon cutting holes and jigging for species like largemouth bass, yellow perch, big bluegills, pickerel, white perch, etc. My kids, their friends, the girlfriends, etc. sometimes all come along as I have a bucket with about 8 jigging outfits ready to go. The trick is to use a small lure (I prefer small gold Kastmasters), and thread a meal worm (can be purchased at Petco) onto the lure's treble. Just lower it to the bottom, move it upwards about 6-10 inches off the bottom and jig the offering up and down.
In the last week, I have done exceptionally well with largemouths in a local pond and have caught big numbers of large perch from Stump Pond in Smithfield. This isn't carp, but it does keep the fishing alive and well until the carp fishing comes to life in March. What else are you going to do in the dead of winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment