Monday, February 22, 2010

Let the Games Begin


It was almost 50 degrees today and the ponds in the mid section of the state have been losing their ice for almost a week now. However, I was still surprised when I got a call this morning from fellow RI CAG member Nick Newton telling me he was catching carp in one of our early season hotspots. That was all I needed to hear. I got my gear, jumped in my car and headed out. It surprised me that the pond we were fishing still had about a quarter of it covered in ice. Though I caught nothing, Nick was able to land 3 commons up to 12 lbs. (See photo of Nick at right). We were using sweet corn on the hair rig. He used no method.

To catch carp after ice out requires a cold water fishing strategy. Here's a few tips. Try to hit known hotspots that have been discovered in past years. Look for shallow spots at the northwest sections of ponds that may heat up faster. Try places where a brook enters a pond. As far as fishing, go small on the bait end. Sweet corn is hot at this time. If you use method, go with a small amount. Use small lengths of hooklinks and small hooks. Try to fish on warm days.

The 2010 carp fishing season has started here in RI!

No comments:

Post a Comment