Saturday, May 7, 2011

Think FINESSE

Think FINESSE. Unlike other types of fishing, carp fishing is really a finesse game. Every aspect of the fishing from the way you tie your hair rigs to the terminal gear you are using to the bait presentation all make a big difference as to whether you catch fish or not. Here are some tips to improve your "finesse" approach. Use small hooks, either a size # 6 (bigger fish) or #8 (smaller fish). Quality carp hooks sold online are sharp and strong. Take care in tying hair rigs. Many fishermen like to use 50 lb. test braid and use a knotless knot when tying (see my videos). How long is the hair in back of your hook? Once the bait is attached, it should dangle 1/8 to 1/4 inch off the bend of the hook, no more. Use egg sinkers or inline leads. I can't tell you how many guys use the plastic laden, gaudy fishfinder rig sliders made for saltwater and then they clip on a big ugly bank sinker. Come on guys, think FINESSE. Putting corn on the hair....use two or three kernels. Sometimes less is better. If you are using boilies, go with smaller ones for average size fish. A carp under 15 lbs. has a very small mouth and is not capable of mouthing a large bait. Think of the size of your mouth. Could you eat a grapefruit whole? Think FINESSE. I have fished with some of the best in New England like Kev Wasliewski here in RI and Jerome Moisand in MA, and I can tell you that these guys are meticulous finesse fishermen. That's why they consistently catch carp and do it with ease. Think FINESSE.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dave I've been reading some old posts of yours and I wanted to ask you about carp fishing just over the RI border in MA would you be able to help me at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest you contact one of the MA CAG guys like Jerome who can be reachecd via the CAG Forum. I am familiar with only nearby MA venues. I also can be reached from the CAG Forum for info on those places. My name on the CAG Forum is pickerd

    ReplyDelete