Friday, July 15, 2011

Small but Active and Feisty


A small carp here in RI is about 5 lbs., give or take a couple of pounds. In the dead of summer when everything slows down, the bigger carp are hard to find and hard to catch. However, the small ones remain active and plentiful in spots. I have been out in the last two mornings and have found good numbers of smaller ones that are actively feeding and hitting freelined doughballs. I see fish breaking here and there, and they seem to hit well up until noontime. These small ones are real feisty once hooked. They will cartwheel around, rip drag and continue the fight until they are in the net. I'm guessing they could win a tug-of-war against a fat and lazy 20 lber.

2 comments:

  1. Hey dave its jesse. I have been going to the same spot everyday and i have been getting 15 to 20 lbs every day and have only fish for 2 hours and they seem to hit around noon for me . Ive been useing your method mix and plain feed corn on the hair rig . I got my first 20 pounder and common this week too. Thanx for all the tips dave hope to fish with you soon .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had the skunk the last two nights - no hits at all. Both spots are new to me, but both contain carp. I've been fishing before dusk.

    ReplyDelete