Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Yikes, Still Hitting on Dec. 28

I've been out carp fishing four times in the last week and a half, fishing both shallow water ponds and river currents. I caught fish every outing, getting a mix of mirrors and commons. Today I landed two seven pound commons (see pic). This is real late in the year for fish to be active in the ponds here in RI.  However, thanks to the warm weather, there is not a sliver of ice anywhere in all the places I have been.  In fact, I stuck a thermometer in the water today and it read 45 degrees.  Incredible for Dec. 28.  Note that last year at this time you could ice fish on some of the ponds, and a foot of snow covered the ground.  What a difference a year makes.
The fish have been hitting pineapple flavored sweet corn, my go to bait all fall.  I will admit that the fish are sluggish on the take and sluggish on the fight due to the cold.  But, hey, it's Dec. 28 and carp fishing is still going.  Can't beat that!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome fish man! Been getting a bunch on fly this month in Denver! NICE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dave,
    could you share how to make pineapple flavored sweet corn here please?
    I'm a big fan of carp fishing. really want to know where to get the pineapple flavor thing.
    thanks and happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Mingtao...I buy my pineapple flavored sweet corn from Wacker Baits (www.wackerbaits.com) They sell it as Pineapple Pescaviva. I will say that regular sweet corn bought in a supermarket also works well at this time. No flavoring needed.

    ReplyDelete