Sunday, February 15, 2015

It will be a LONG time......

In most years, I begin carp fishing in still waters (ponds and lakes) in late February or early March.  By mid March everything is open and fishable, even waters in northern RI. I don't see this happening this year.
Most shorelines in RI are under at least 5-6 feet of snow right now (far more to the north of us).  In addition (what most don't know) the ponds themselves have another foot or so of ice under all that snow.  I was ice fishing last week and was amazed at the thickness of the ice.  Back just a month ago there was little ice and no snow on the ground, but the weather has certainly turned with no let up in sight.
With carp fishing shut down, I have turned my attention to skiing in the daytime. I've been hitting the slopes 4 or 5 times a week, and have experienced some the best skiing of all time here in NE. In the evenings, I have been tackle tinkering.  There's lots to do before the carp fishing arrives.  I have been making sinkers, tying hair rigs, ordering hooks, artificial bait and other gear, cleaning my reels and getting my bag in order. I've also been to many UK and US Internet carp sites looking for info on rigs, baiting and other ideas for the upcoming season.
The fishing season will get here eventually, but I would also venture a guess that I will be still skiing in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment