Saturday, November 25, 2017

Tough Going

I landed this six pound mirror this morning.
It's been a slow November so far.
This is turning out to be the worst November in years for me in terms of numbers of carp landed. Since that very cold spell hit back in early November, the fishing has gone downhill.  In the last five outings, I have gotten exactly two carp. I haven't seen much moving around and haven't seen any jumps. It's like everything just died!
I attribute this poor fishing to two factors: that sudden drop in water temperature back in the beginning of the month and the very high water from all the rain this month. High and fast water is a problem because it kills the river fishing which tends to be more consistent than pond fishing in the cold.
But alas, things seem to be heading in a moderate direction in the next week.  The temperatures will moderate and there are no big rain storms coming so I see the fishing as picking up in the coming two weeks. In the last two years I have experienced excellent fishing in November and December.  Well, November was a bust this year so I am hoping for a turn around in December.  We'll see.
Like in the past, I plan on fishing right through the winter unless we get a hard freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment