Friday, April 13, 2018

Hasn't Been Easy

Carp #200 on the year comes to the net. So, far it hasn't been
easy in 2018.
The good news: I landed my 200th carp of the year this week.  The bad news: it hasn't been easy.
Overall, 2018 is off to a sub par start. The weather has been a roller coaster ride and the carp fishing has been the same way.  With the exception of that warm spell in late February when the fishing was really good, it's been an off and on deal with more days off than on.  Many of my spots that should be producing by now have fished poorly.  That has forced me to look elsewhere. So, I've really been on the move in the last month looking for something hot, but I have not found it.
Last year at this point, I had 300 carp while fishing about the same amount of outings. So, I am way behind, but to quote of of RI's best carpers, "this is a marathon and not a sprint." I also know that fishing can turn really hot in mid to late spring.  I am waiting for that to happen.
While I've gotten to 200 fish, a fair number at this point by past standards, I have to say I am really pleased with the sizes.  I have half a dozen 20's so far and lots of fish in the teens, so size-wise it has been good.
Hopefully, fishing will bust open in the coming weeks. After tomorrow, lots more carp waters will open up in RI after trout fishing's Opening Day.  That should give us many more options.


No comments:

Post a Comment