Thursday, June 28, 2018

Hogs in the Deluge

The hogs were on the feed in today's deluge.  Once again,
the action lit up in nasty weather.
Today was my kind of weather.  I've fished in this type of weather many, many times in the past and have done real well. Carp go nuts in extreme weather.  In the past I've done real well in tropical storms, hurricanes, northeasters and big downpours. So, I was not surprised when I found the carp on a big time feed in today's nasty weather.
I've been out in a lot of rainstorms, but for about a half hour today it rained about as hard as I have ever seen it come down.  I had a bait bucket by my side and after that deluge, the bucket had at least 6 inches of water in it!
During that deluge I landed a double header that consisted of a 20 + lb. and 15 lb. common and then another 20+ followed. All in all I had 8 fish today with most of them going over 10 lbs. The hot bait today was plastics.  I was fishing a white and yellow plastic corn on the hair rig ahead of a small method ball.  I used the plastics to avoid turtles, but they were nowhere to be found in this nasty weather.
This fishing lit up in a place that has been so-so and fair at best for me in the last month. I've seen this pattern before in summer where a big rainstorm can light things up in this location,  and it came through once again today.
PS Many people ask what I wear to stay dry in this type of weather.  I wear Grunden Hercules rain pants and a Grunden/Brooks rain jacket along with knee high Muck boots.  This set up kept me dry as a bone today.  It is the same gear the guys wear on the TV show, Deadliest Catch.

No comments:

Post a Comment