Sunday, June 14, 2020

Are You Geared Up for the BIG One?

Looking for a big carp like this RI mid 20?
You need the right equipment to do it.
Many newbies are ill equipped to handle big carp.
Most carp fishermen, especially the novices, are not. I talk to a lot of fishermen along the banks these days.  Many of the newer carp fishermen talk about how they'd like to catch a big one.  Most here in RI define that big one as 20 lbs. Some of the more experienced guys are looking for a 30 lber. which is very difficult to catch here in RI. It took me decades of carp fishing before I landed my first thirty pounder here in RI. However, when I look down at their equipment of those fishermen wanting to catch a big one, I don't have the heart to tell them it is not going to happen. At my winter carp fishing seminars I often will tell newbies you can't expect to hunt elephants with a BB gun. Most novice carp fishermen are woefully under equipped to land a big one.
So, let's just take a look at equipment needs to land that big carp.  Of course, there are many other factors (bait, location, presentation, etc) that go into this.
Reels- Here is the most important piece of the puzzle.  Big, baitrunner reels are a must for a serious carp fisherman. You want a reel with good line capacity.  I use Shimano Baitrunners on my bigger rods.
Line- Twenty pound test mono or heavier braid is recommended.  I like the mono due to abrasion resistance.  I use Berkley Big Game mono, a saltwater line, on the reels above.
Rods-  I like the 12 foot Euro carp rods because they cast well, are soft on the fight and give me great leverage on a big fish.  Mine are Fox rods (3.0 test curve).  A lot of our RI guys use 9 or 10 ft. surf rods.  They are adequate.
Hooks-  Those cheap Eagle Claw hooks will bend under the weight and fight of a big fish. I buy my carp hooks (#6) from Big Carp Tackle. They are about a dollar apiece but well worth the money.  I have used Fox, PB and ESP hooks, and they are all good.
Hooklink-  I'm using braided line for my hooklink. I like Power Pro Braid in 50 lb. test.
Net- This is a key piece of equipment.  How do you get a 25 or 30 lb. fish onto the bank when your line is only 20 lb. test.  A big Euro carp net is the key. These generally measure 42 inches across. I use a Fox net. Those small bass and trout nets are worthless when it comes to big fish.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mr. Pickering T. Fletcher here, still following the page! I’ve been on and off over the years going carp fishing since I used to go with you. Out here at a spot now used to take us to years ago locally but I see a lot of homemade bank sticks now so looks like a pretty popular spot now. But can’t thank you enough for all I’ve learned form you over the years! Can’t get enough of it and I’ve gotten a bunch of friends into it too.

    ReplyDelete