Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Big Carp on the Feed Here in RI

 The past seven days have seen the best fishing in a long time for big carp for me.  We are definitely in a

Take a look at the sagging, egg filled bottom 
on this 27 lb. female that I landed yesterday.
Big carp are on the feed right now. By the way,
the fish above was released in good shape right
after a quick photo!

pre-spawn mode in many of our lakes and ponds.  Big females have become more numerous in the past week, and they are feeding.  Also, lots of aggressive males are in the mix.

In the past week I have landed 4 carp over 25 lbs. here in RI.  That includes a 26, 27, 27 and 29 lb. fish. All of them have been females as evidenced by their sagging egg filled bottoms. There have also been days with lots of fish like yesterday.  In that miserable rainy, cold and windy weather, the carp were on a tear as I banked 10 carp from 15 to 27 lbs. in  a few hours of fishing.  Once again, the crappy weather delivers.

The hot bait for me continues to be a combo bait of maize and one kernel of white, artificial corn fished on a hair rig.  I'm also packing a method ball around my sinker.  I try to prebait whenever possible, and for the most part, I am prebaiting with maize. Sometimes I mix in cut up boilies.

If your are looking for your biggest carp of the year, no better month to catch her than May.  Fishing for big carp is hot right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment