Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Doldrums of September

I landed this mirror this morning.  It was my only 
fish today.  For the most part, September fishing
has been slow.

 I'm in the September slow down.  This seems to happen to my carp fishing every year.  The September negatives that contribute to the slow down are many. The water is warm and the fish are not on the fall feed yet. In addition, the pests are all over the place.  Sun turtles and snapping turtles are particularly active and irritating. Weed growth is at its maximum.  Also, this year the water levels are high due to excessive summer rains.  High water is always difficult to fish.

Still, I am still catching, though not at the same levels that I was getting back in the previous few months. I've had only one blank in September. Most of my outings have produced only one or two fish. For the most part, the carp have been small, under ten pounds. The best bait continues to be a combo bait of maize and one artificial corn on the hair rig. I haven't been using a method ball lately because it is a real turtle attractor.

I know better days are coming as October and November have proven to be big fish months in the past.

1 comment:

  1. Dave , It was a pleasure seeing you today ! It's been quite a few years ! Glad to see you still actively fishing ! All the best for a great fall fishing season ! Bill "eelman" Nolan

    ReplyDelete