Friday, February 11, 2022

No Carp but Plenty of Other Fish

 

Here's a good size pickerel that I 
jigged up today.

With the still waters iced over and the moving water very high, I have turned to ice fishing.  I am only jigging in a number of ponds.  It seems that everywhere that I go, fish are hitting!

I'm using a small Kastmaster along with a meal worn on the end hook.  I go from hole to hole looking for action. I've been catching just about everything that lives in freshwater except carp.  In the last couple of weeks, I have gotten some big largemouths, large pickerel, lots of yellow perch of all sizes, crappie, white perch and a ton of bluegills and sunfish. 

Years ago I used to do this a lot after school with the kids, but recent years have brought little ice.  This year is different.  In the last few weeks, there has been a solid 6 to 8 inches of ice in most places. 

Here's a decent largemouth that I jigged up 
last week.


No comments:

Post a Comment