Saturday, March 18, 2023

Off and Running

 

Yes, the fish were hitting on this
warm day today.  Weather will
play a big part in the early season.

For me, today marked the start of spring fishing for carp. I tried three other times in the last week and blanked every time.  But, each one of those times, I was putting bait (maize) into my spring spots.  I knew it would be a matter of a short amount of time when I would start seeing carp in at least one of those places.  Today, I saw them as well as caught a number of them.  I spotted some fish moving around in the shallows and tossed more bait into the spot I intended to fish.  I went back to this location several hours later. The rods were out no more than ten minutes before the alarm went off and I was on.

Note that early spring carp fishing in March can be a lot like the weather- inconsistent.  The key to success is to have a plan, bait up a few spots and stick with it. The warm days will outproduce the cold days.

Today's fish fell for a combo bait of maize and pale pink artificial corn on the hair rig.

Note:  Here in RI you can only fish non trout stocked waters until Opening Day of trout season (second Saturday in April)..  You will also need a new, 2023 license if you intend to fish any freshwaters in the state at this time.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this article. I really love it. This is a very nice one and gives in-depth information. I am really happy with the quality and presentation of the article. I’d really like to appreciate the efforts you get with writing this post. Thanks for sharing. Read my Link

    ReplyDelete