Thursday, October 10, 2024

So Far, October Has Been a Struggle

Here's a good looking 18 lb. mirror that I landed
a few evenings ago. So far, October fishing 
has been a struggle with a fish here and there.

 I am coming off two real good months of carp fishing.  August was the very best August I have ever had with big numbers of carp as well as many big ones.  September was not quite as good but still good with lots of big fish and good numbers.  And, along comes October, and it all goes downhill.

This month has been a struggle.  I have fished just about every day in multiple venues.  I have managed to land exactly 8 carp so far in the month of October, very poor numbers for this time of year. My one highlight is that I did get a 30 lber., my seventh 30 of the year. But other than that, I haven't even banked a 20 lb. carp.

October can bring slow fishing.  I have seen it in the past.  There are big weather changes this month and the cooling water tends to have a chilling effect on the fishing. Carp sometimes do not adjust well to rapidly dropping water temperatures, and I think these 40 degree nights are responsible for the slow fishing. In the past I have done the best in mid to late fall on unusually warm days or days followed by warm nights.  A warm rain can also light up the fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment