Saturday, October 31, 2009

Putting it Into Practice






I decided to practice what I preach. Went out yesterday and fished the cold water strategies exactly like I described in my previous post. I was fishing a small pond. The result......7 carp in an hour and a half, by far my best day this month numbers wise.



I used small hooks, small method ball, and sweet corn. Here's something interesting. Flavored sweet corn was not working. I tried several kinds. I got all my fish on unflavored sweet corn. I tried the flavored stuff with no luck, proving my point (that I've said in the past) that sometimes the flavored stuff works well, but sometimes it is a major turn off. Regular maize was also not working. One more note. I had to use a small method ball. The corn alone would not do the trick!



If you are looking for some quality sweet corn to use, try Green Giant, Super Sweet Yellow and White sweet corn that can be purchased at Stop and Shop. It is durable and very effective. It is the only unflavored sweet corn I will use.

1 comment:

  1. great to hear of your good luck on saturday, Dave. Thanks as always for the tips and techniques, it gives all of us a great base of knowledge. Nick, Dick and I put some time in at a large pond friday and only managed a few hits but they were picking at the bait, the companionship was great though the fishing was not good that outing....Paul

    ReplyDelete