Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Slowing Down???

We are in a lull right now. As I type this, the temperature outside is in the thirties. With the water cooling rapidly, the carp are not as active as they were a month ago.
All of our RI CAG members are asking why the fish are not hitting so well these days. Here's a few thoughts about late fall fishing. This is no longer July. You can expect to catch far less fish, but remember that there are still fish to be had. At this time of year, I like to start hitting small ponds where the fish are easier to find and easier to catch. It is also a time to go delicate. Kev Wasliewski, the former CAG state chair in RI, would always give late fall advice to go smaller with the bait, smaller with the sinker, smaller method balls, go with sweet corn rather than maize, etc. This is a guy who could really catch at this time. Expect a lot of "taps" rather than screaming runs at this time. The fish's metabolism is slowing with the cold water and the hits will be picky at best. I will also use doughballs a lot at this time. They seem to like this soft bait and the pesky fish like bluegills that often steal this bait are inactive in cold water. Finally, adjust the times you fish. Last year I did really well in late fall during the warmest part of the day....from early afternoon to sunset.
The end is not nearly in sight. I keep extensive records or logs on my carp fishing. Last year I caught my last carp in open water in RI on Dec. 29. I had several days in December with upwards of 8 fish in one outing. I also landed many fish from the teens to 20 lbs. in November and December. So, things are not over by a long shot. We are just in a lull right now.

1 comment:

  1. hey dave. could you let me know if you are going to have another fish in. i need to figure out what i'm doing wrong. thanks kevin.

    ReplyDelete