Saturday, October 23, 2010

Back to Sweet Corn

Whenever things are slow, I revert back to using sweet corn. Fishing is slow right now, but has perked up considerably since I went back to using sweet corn in the last week. Sweet corn is a very effective bait, but the drawback has always been that it also attracts turtles, bluegills, horned pout, etc. that will pick you clean. With the cooling water, the pests seem to have become inactive, but the carp are still hitting.
I have had good success in the last week using any type of pineapple flavored sweet corn. I usually flavor my own by buying sweet corn from the supermarket, picking the largest kernels and then adding a pineapple dip or flavor that can be purchased from online bait stores (try K-1 baits). Pineapple Skyy vodka is also good. Flavored sweet corn was my most effective bait last fall and produced until the ice arrived.

1 comment:

  1. Dave, I didn't see a place to leave comments on the striper blog. Awesome fish!!!
    -Nick

    ReplyDelete