Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mix and Match Colors, Flavors of Sweet Corn


Even with the cold weather, this has been a big week of carp fishing for me as I am catching large numbers of mirrors. Much of the success is due to a change in tactics. The ticket has been to mix and match flavors and colors of sweet corn on the hair rig.

Rather than go with one flavor on the hair rig, I am using multiple flavors and colors. My best combination has been two kernels of pineapple along with one kernel of tutti-fruitti sandwiched in the middle. However, I am also doing well with one kernel of peach, pineapple and tutti-fruitti. If I go with one straight flavor like three kernels of pineapple, the results are not as good. I have seen this type of thing work real well in the past, and it's working real well right now.

Your time with sweet corn is limited. As soon as the water warms up and pests such as turtles, bluegills and horned pout become active, they will pick the delicate sweet corn apart.

3 comments:

  1. what type of hooklink do you use, and does it change for the time of the year?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am simply using mono for my hooklink (15 lb. test). I tie my hair with a fly tying vice using nylon thread and attach the mono hooklink separately. Use the same set up all year.
    I know the majority of carp fishermen use 50 lb. test Power Pro for hookline and hair using the knotless knot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tactic has been working well for me also with the smallmouth buffalo. Fishing a combo of corn-oil soaked maize, a piece soaked in tiger nut oil, and a piece of pop-up fake maize has worked much better than just using single-flavor offerings.

    ReplyDelete