Wednesday, March 9, 2011

RI Ponds Now Producing


I got my first carp of the new year from a pond here in RI today. It was a good looking common of about 12-13 lbs. (see pic). I've actually had several hits in the last two days, and this was my first real taker. I have to chuckle when I read the Fisherman magazine reports today that said nothing was going on in freshwater in RI. Ah, what they don't know!

Most of the ponds south of Providence are all open and fishable. North of Providence the ponds remain locked in with ice but shorelines are deteriorating. Looking at some warm weather on the way, I think everything will be fishable by the weekend.

Note that trout ponds remain closed to any type of fishing until Opening Day. You need a 2011 license if you plan to fish at this time.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dave,
    I'm thinking about hitting up Roger Williams Park on Saturday for the first time ever. Any tips on parking/access or good spots within the park? I've noticed there is a number of different ponds within the park. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RW Park is completely accessible with parking all around the park. There are several ponds there and all have carp. The fish shift around a lot and you often have to move around to find them. One key is to fish near places where there are downed trees. They like to hang around the structure. It also helps if you prebait. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete