Saturday, October 20, 2018

Cold Weather Shuts it Down

I'm on one of the worst streaks I have ever experienced in carp fishing in October.  I have blanked on my last FIVE outings in a row. It's not for lack of trying. I've fished good spots in three states,  RI, MA and CT, in the last five days and I have nothing to show for it.
The fishing had been good up until that cold weather hit last week. I am guessing the sudden cold dropped the water temperature about 10 to 15 degrees and that was just enough to shut down the feed. Today I took a temperature reading at one of my spots and the water temp there was a cool 55 degrees. Carp should be feeding in that range, but the sudden drop has brought on lockjaw.
Note that in the last five days, I have not seen a carp jump, I have not seen any bubble trails and I haven't seen anyone catch a fish.  And, I was in some pretty good spots.
I say we are in a temporary lull right now. The fishing should perk up continue until the ice arrives.  Fall is a fickle time for carp fishing as it is often an on or off deal.  Right now, it's off for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment