Thursday, November 26, 2020

The Thanksgiving Day Carp

 

This is one of four Thanksgiving Day carp landed
on this rainy and warm morning.

This morning I had a couple of hours to spare before leaving to go to my son's house for Thanksgiving. I only had to look out the window to know this was going to be a good carp fishing day. It was unusually warm and rainy, a deadly duo for late November conditions. So, I packed up my rain gear and fishing stuff and drove off to a nearby spot.

I prebaited some maize when I got to my location.  I put out my two rods with combo baits of maize and artificial corn on the hair rig. It didn't take long before one rod tip was bouncing away, and I was soon onto my first Thanksgiving Day carp of the day. It was a mirror about 6 lbs. I would go on to catch three more mirrors about the same size.  I would also have quite a few other taps of the rod tip, a sure sign of weak takes due to colder water and the carp's slowing metabolism.  But, also a sign that good numbers of carp were in front of me.

As I left the bank, I thought to myself, "not bad for a couple of hours of fishing in late November." We are fortunate to have some great carp fishing here for such a small state. We also have some of the best mirror carp waters in the entire US. 

No comments:

Post a Comment