Saturday, January 2, 2021

First Ones of the New Year

 

My first carp of the new year, a 12 lb. common,
is in the net. My first outing in 2021 was very
productive.

My carp fishing for 2021 began today. I got out on a sunny afternoon and had quite the outing for Jan.2.  I landed 10 carp that ranged from 7 to 19 lbs., one of my better winter outings in recent years. 

Many people don't associate carp fishing with cold water but truth is they do continue to feed in open water in the wintertime. Get a nice warm-up with the sun out like we had today, and you have the recipe for a good carp fishing day.

Certain places offer a higher percentage of success in the dead of winter.  I like to fish low water spots that heat up quickly on a warm winter day.  These can be small, shallow ponds, small rivers and canals. These are the places that warm up the fastest which causes the carp to feed. I have never scored well in bigger lakes with deep water in the wintertime. 

I was fishing my usual combo bait today- a small kernel of maize along with a white artificial corn on the hair rig. That same bait that was scoring in the fall continues to catch. Sweet corn is also very good at this time of year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment