Monday, December 4, 2023

December Nights

 

First one of the night was a mirror.  It hit a combo
bait of maize and an artificial corn.

This is the time of year that I often fish at night, especially a warm night.  For some reason, carp will prowl the shallows at night in late fall in search of food.

Tonight I had the right conditions.  It was warm yesterday followed by a warm night and warm again today.  So I prebaited a spot I wanted to fish this afternoon and headed out after dark.  I managed to get three fish, all mirrors and all mid size- 6 to 10 lbs. I got them all on a combo bait of a white pop-up artificial corn fished with a kernel of maize on the hair rig.  I used no method. I like to go "small" on the bait in cold water.

Carp will continue to hit even in cold weather until skim ice starts to form. Once the ice comes, they seem to go into a funk in still water lakes and ponds.  They tend to be more active in moving water (rivers and streams).  Don't expect to catch big numbers in December, and any carp landed in December is a bonus in my book!.

Final fish of the night was this good looking mirror!



No comments:

Post a Comment