Friday, March 12, 2010

Hit-or Miss for March


March brings its challenges to carp fishing. Ice cover is leaving, the water is cold and the fish are generally not in full feeding mode. Add to that some ever changing weather that will feature sixty degrees one day, in the thirties the next. One day it's raining; one day snowing.

So, how do you play it in March. As you've read in previous posts, I like to fish shallow areas in ponds that tend to warm up quickly. I also have my favorite spots in March that I've discovered from putting in a lot of time over the last ten years. I also like to move around a lot and hit multiple spots in a day hoping to find a good location. If you can pick your days to fish, get out on some of the warmest days or right after a warm spell. We hit a little spurt of good fishing this week while we had sunny days near sixty. But, yesterday (temp in the 40's) I blanked without a hit.

I just like to fish in March regardless of the weather. It's the start of a new season which adds to the excitement even though the fishing is usually less than stellar. And, that anticipation that it will only get better keeps me coming back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment