Monday, August 15, 2011

Uptick in Fishing

There has been an uptick in carp fishing in the past week. The week before we hit rock bottom with the fishing being poor, but the fishing in the last few days has greatly improved.  I suspect the rain and cooler weather has gotten the fish in a feeding mood.  This is not a fall feeding spree but certainly an improvement over where we were a week ago.
I went out today in the pouring rain, my type of fishing weather.  I had the best outing in a month, catching 4 commons (see photo at left) and 2 mirrors in two different spots here in RI.  A couple of days back I went up into MA and landed 5 small mirrors in another location.  So, clearly the fish are hitting in a variety of spots.  The best bait continues to be sweet corn on the hair rig.  I'm generally using two kernels of pineapple flavored sweet corn with an ending kernel of maize.   The maize is far more durable and if bluegills pick off the delicate sweet corn, I still have a kernel of maize on the hair rig.  It has worked real well in the last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment