Sunday, October 2, 2011

State Record Brown Bullhead or Big Channel Cat

I landed today what at first I thought to be the new state record for horned pout, or brown bullhead.  But, it could also be a channel cat. The fish weighed (officially on tackle shop certified scale) 6 lbs. 15 oz.,  and the tackle shop identified it as a brown bullhead. I filled out all the paper work, took a load of pictures, and will file it with the state. I am hoping the biologists will positively identify the fish by the pictures I took.  It looks like a bullhead as far as color, but has the tail of a cat.   I caught this fish while fishing for carp in the Blackstone River, a place I had never seen a channel cat.  The fish hit a pineapple flavored boilie intended for carp.  After catching, I kept the fish in a net then transferred it to a large cooler and brought the fish for offical weigh-in at Big Bear Tackle Shop in Harmony.  Later, the fish was brought back to the river in the cooler and released alive.

1 comment: