Thursday, November 10, 2011

RI Record Carp; Biggest Freshwater Fish Ever Landed in State

I landed today what was the biggest freshwater fish ever caught in RI.  It was a common carp that weighed 36 lbs. on the dot.  That fish beat the RI carp record by several pounds.  It also was a pound bigger than a 35 lb. record pike that was the biggest official fish every landed here in RI.
I landed the fish on a Chub Stalker carp rod with a Shimano 3500 Baitrunner reel that was spooled with 15 lb. test Berkley Big Game line.  For bait, I was using Pescaviva pineapple flavored sweet corn on a hair rig (just a tiny #8 hook) that was fished ahead of an oatmeal based method ball.
The fish will not go down as the official record because I released it.  You see, here in RI, you must have an official state record weighed by a tackle shop with a certified scale.  In order to do that, I would have had to have transported the fish many miles in a large cooler.  It is likely that the stress of the travel and length of time would have killed the fish.  So, I weighed it on my very accurate Berkeley digital scale, took some photos and released my prize to fight again. The fish should become the new CAG (Carp Angler Group) record for the state since that group only requires a weighing, a photo and a witness.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Dave congrats!! I've been told the warmer water temps this year have been keeping the bite hot as well. What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great job and even better he may grow another pound or two by next year. Congrats and good fishn'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog, thanks for sharing the information. I will come to look for update. Keep up the good work.

    How to use Power trolling

    ReplyDelete