Sunday, October 16, 2016

Nighttime Carping Productive

Here's a good size mirror carp that was
recently landed at night.  Fall fishing
after dark can be very productive.
It's that time of year when it starts getting dark earlier and earlier. So, I find myself fishing more and more at night.  In the last three weeks I have spent many short sessions in the dark in many spots and have caught some good size carp up to 20 lbs.
I know some fishermen fish all three seasons after dark, but I find that fall is especially productive for me at night.  Maybe it's because that's when I put in the most time carp fishing at night. Also, keep in mind that the carp are feeding up for a winter that is coming, and their time to feed in the daytime is shortened by the lessening light. So, I do think they feed more and more after dark in the fall.
Nighttime carp fishing is no different than doing it in the daytime.  Same baits, same techniques.  Get yourself some warm clothing and a good headlight, and you are good to go.
Some big fish are taken at night in the fall.  One of our RI CAGers, Jake Ayotte, is competing in the CAG Fall Big 4 Tournament.  He recently sent me several photos, all taken at night, of some phenomenal fish that he has caught recently.  He had three carp in the THIRTIES that were all taken at night. Jake's catches are proof that some of the biggest fish of the year are feeding at night in the fall. By the way, Jake has taken a big lead in the CAG Big 4 Tournament. Could a RI carper be heading for a first place victory in this prestigious tournament?

No comments:

Post a Comment