Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Targeting Larger Carp; 800th Carp of the Year Landed

My biggest carp of the fall so far....28 lbs., 2 oz.
In the last few weeks I have been targeting larger carp.  I've been fishing mostly in RI but have hit some spots in MA and CT. I've landed quite a few carp in the teens along with several good size fish in the 20's.  I also had my biggest carp of the fall a couple of days ago.  This was a brute of 28 lbs., 2 oz. It had such a gut, it looked like it swallowed a small barrel. The fish was taken on a combo bait of maize along with a white pop up artificial corn.
I believe the time period from mid October to mid November is prime time to catch a really big fish in the fall.  It was mid November several years ago that I landed that monster 36 lb. carp in RI waters, the largest carp and the largest freshwater fish ever caught in RI.  Large carp are on the fall feed at this time as they feed up for winter. The problem at this time of year is that the fishing can be as inconsistent as the weather. The best days to fish will be those warmer days after a cold spell or a warm, wet and stormy day. Daytime as well as warm nights can be productive.
On a completely different note, I landed my 800th carp of the year tonight while fishing after dark.  It was a mirror of about 8 lbs. Already this is my second best year ever in terms of numbers.  With two months left of fishing for the year, it could be another 1000 fish year for me.  I'll need the weather to stay warm and a little bit of luck to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment