Saturday, November 5, 2016

"Fat as Pigs"

Most of my recent catches
have been super fat and heavy fish.
I have been catching some very good size carp in the last week. These fish have ranged from the high teens into the low twenties. I am catching these fish in the daytime as well as at night. In just about all cases, they are some of the fattest carp I have ever seen.  Yes, some are as fat as pigs!
In late fall, carp are feeding up big time in anticipation of winter when food is scarce. So, it makes sense that you will be catching some real hefty fish at this time. The only other time you will find big bellied fish is in the spring and these will be females.
I am having good success using a combo bait of maize and a white, artificial pop-up corn fished on the hair rig. In addition, I am packing a method ball around my sinker.
Note that I have seen very little activity (fish breaching or bubble trails), yet the fish are still active.  The carp should remain active until the ice arrives.  Last year's open water fishing held up real well until late December.  I have every reason to think that will happen again this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment