Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Change in Strategy.....Playing "Small Ball"

This 15 lb. mirror that sits in the
water was taken by freelining
yesterday.  It was one of 4 fish
landed in 4 different spots.
I coached baseball for many years.  When we were in a tight, low scoring game, we often turned to what was called "small ball". For those not familiar with this term, it means trying to do little things to push a run across.  It might be bunting or stealing or working the count for a walk or settling for singles rather than home runs.
I changed my strategy for carp fishing in the last week, turning to a game of "small ball" with my fishing. I have abandoned the hair rigs, the big sinkers, the 2 rods, the 12 foot rods and the bite alarms.  For the last week I have basically been freelining using one small rod which I am holding.  My strategy has been to hit a number of shallow spots in the morning in the hopes of finding some feeding fish.  Once I find them, I will toss in some bait hoping to get some of them to feed right in front of me.  Then, while taking a stealthy approach, I will very quietly toss in my bait which is just on the hook.  I have been freelining a number of baits in the last week.  They include bread crust, doughballs, sweet corn, maize and mulberries, and I have caught on all of them.
In the last week I have taken exactly 27 carp, and most have fallen to freelining.  These fish have ranged from small ones of a few pounds to fish in the teens. To get an idea just how this "small ball" works, I hit four different spots yesterday morning and came away with four fish.  One spot did not produce while one spot gave up two. The biggest fish was 15 lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment