Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Active in the Rain

Today was a day that I was looking forward to for a long time.  It's been months since we had an all day rain with stormy weather, probably the best conditions to catch carp in the daytime at this time of year.  The fish did not disappoint me. They were active and lots were jumping even in the heavy downpours.   I got out this morning and landed 6 commons in a few hours of fishing.  I had another two fish on that I lost.  This has been my best day in weeks as the fishing had been poor.  My bait of choice today was a kernel of maize (experimental flavor, pineapple/whiskey, that I am testing for a bait company) along with a kernel of unflavored sweet corn on the hair.  I like that combo because the pests will sometimes take the sweet corn off the hair, but they have a hard time stealing the more durable maize.  So, you still have one bait to attract a hungry carp. Once the water cools and the pests disappear, I will go back to using just sweet corn.  This was all fished ahead of a method ball. I suspect we are in the start of fall fishing for carp, a real good, though sometimes inconsistent time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment