Friday, April 19, 2013

The Scoop on Chick Peas

This has been a hot week of carp fishing for me here in RI.  I landed several fish in the twenties and others in the high teens along with a "probable" 30 lber.  The common thread here is that all of these fish were taken on chick peas. Chick peas or garbanzo beans are terrific carp baits to use.  I especially like to use these in the Blackstone River where the use of corn is prohibited.
Here is all you need to know about preparing and using them:
1. Buying- You should buy these in a dried state.  They can be purchased in most supermarkets in the dried bean section.  A one pound bag is about three bucks.
2. Preparing-  Boil water in a pan first.  Once the water is boiling, add about a handful of chick peas.  Boil exactly 20 minutes and then take off the heat and cool.  Store in a container with water in it.
3.  Fishing them- I like to fish these on a hair rig, although I believe you can pass a hook through them.  I like to use one chick pea on a hair rig, but I have also fished two chick peas on a longer hair.  You can also chum these in places where chumming is legal.

No comments:

Post a Comment