Saturday, May 11, 2013

Two Kids Get Their First Carp

I was out walking for exercise today along the bike path in Lincoln where I met two kids fishing.  I knew one of them from our Little League baseball days.  The kids told me they had been fishing since 7 AM and they were hoping to catch their first carp though they had no luck.  They also tried all day yesterday with no success.
So, I invited them to go out with me this evening in one of my spots that had been producing real well.  I brought along all my gear such as extra rods and reels, alarms, carp net, etc., along with the bait we would need to catch them.  We would be using that wild berry flavored maize that I did so well with this morning.  We planned to put out six rods.  We had just casted rod three out when the alarm went off on the first rod.  I could see this was going to be a wild one.  Tanner, one of the kids, took the first hit.  Within a few minutes, he had his first carp in the net, a beauty of about ten pounds (see photo at right).  We then got all the other rods out and another alarm goes off.  This time, Nick, the other kid, takes the rod and lands another fish about the same size as Tanner's (photo at left).  This just kept going like this for the rest of the evening with a runner about every twenty minutes or so.   Nick and Tanner each caught two carp and I landed one.  They were all mirror carp. We also had a couple of more bumps and short runs.  While all of that was going on, other fish were breaking here and there.  The fish were very active tonight.
So, we welcome two new carp fishermen here in RI.  Hopefully, this will be the start of something big for these kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment