Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Yes, They do Hit After Dark

The summertime is one of the best times of the year to catch carp after dark. Yes, they do hit after dark and they hit well.  Take a look at the mirror at right that I landed a couple of nights ago.  In the summer and early fall carp have a tendency to leave deep water daytime lairs and move closer to shore to roam around and feed under cover of darkness.  I can't tell you how many times I am sitting in a chair tending my rods after dark and when I go to get up I suddenly startle a large carp that is sitting in just inches of water right in front of me. Another plus (or minus as some see it) is that you have a shot at catching horned pout or large catfish (channels and whites) after dark.  They hit the same baits as carp do.
If you do try nighttime carp fishing, I would strongly advise that you try to pick an area that is safe and secure. And, bring along lights and lots of bug spray.

No comments:

Post a Comment