Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Consistently Fair

This large common measured 34
inches and was landed this morning.
It was one of four decent commons
landed in a 3 hour short session.
The carp fishing thus far in October is typical of what I've seen in other years.  I would describe it as consistently fair.  Carp fishing in the fall is kind of like the weather.  Hot one day, cold the next and somewhere in between on other days.
I've been fishing mostly short sessions in the morning. I usually get out for two or three hours.  On just about every outing this month I have been getting one to four fish. Not great numbers but consistently fair.  However, I have been getting some hefty fish this month with numerous 20 lbers. coming to the net.  This morning I got a beast of a common that measured 34 inches long.  While I didn't weigh the fish, I'm guessing it was in the low to mid twenties.
Many novice carpers try to equate fall fishing with spring fishing.  Well, that is like comparing apples to oranges.  During the spring months of April, May and June, I generally average 100 or more fish a month.  At the other end of the calendar in the months of Sept., Oct. and Nov., I average 50 fish a month, half of what I catch in the spring.  Realize, though, big fish can be caught in both the spring and fall.  The largest carp ever caught in RI was a gargantuan common that tipped the scales at 36 lbs. I caught that fish in November.  So, it can happen in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment