Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Big Week for RI Carpers




Just as I have predicted in the past this has been a big week for members of the RI Carp Anglers Group. There have been some very large fish taken and the good sized carp have been numerous. They are hitting in various parts of the state with the fall action peaking in many locations. The recent rains and cool nights have set off a feeding spree with these carp as they sense the approach of winter.



I fished the last three nights after dark at Lake Tiogue in Coventry. In that time period, I landed 9 big commons from 14-18 lbs., very good sized carp in RI waters. Jeff Allard, our newest CAG member, accompanied me a few nights ago and he landed his first RI 20 lb. carp, a big achievement for a first year carp fisherman here in RI. Last week, I also hit the Blackstone River (prior to the flooding rains) and I was able to catch several mirrors in the mid teens, very good sized fish for this species. In addition, Steve Mc Kenna, another new CAG member has been fishing Twin Rivers in North Providence in the daytime. Steve landed a bunch of fish in the past week that went from low teens to 20 lbs. In fact, he landed a pb (personal best) 20 lber. from this spot. This is another big accomplishment for a first year carp fisherman.



Judging from past years, this type of action should continue for the next couple of weeks in the above locations. But, it will not end. As fall moves on, the fish will seek the shallows on warm days and continue feeding right until the ice arrives. Last year I caught my last 20 lb. fish on Dec. 1. The next day I went back to the same spot and it was covered in ice! In past years, I have caught carp in open water every single month of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment