Sunday, March 22, 2009

Flavored Corn



Another "trick" that sharpie carp fishermen use is flavored corn on the hair rig. Yes, it works, and sometimes it is the only thing that works. I was out yesterday targeting mirror carp. I could see some swimming around and knew that if I found what they wanted I would have some good action. I tried a kernel of strawberry flavored corn sandwiched between two kernels of sweet corn. This set up had been hot in the last two weeks, but it didn't work yesterday. The only thing they would hit was The Bait Stop's "Big Time Banana" flavor, a new highly concentrated flavor I had just gotten in a few days ago. I landed 4 mirrors (see picture of one of them at left) and lost 2 others on the way in. Banana was hot yesterday.




You can buy flavored corn from a number of online carp bait stores. I am currently using a lot of innovative varieties from the Bait Stop (http://www.thebaitstop.com/) . These include such varieties as "Cinnamon Butter Rum", "Andy's Anise", and the above mentioned banana. I also use several varieties from Big Bob's (http://www.bigbobstackle.com/) which include scopex, strawberry and honey flavors. I've also use Pecaviva flavored corn sold by Wacker Baits (http://www.wackerbaits.com/). I especially like tutti-fruitti and scopex Pescaviva.




I find that the fruity flavors work best in cold water....spring and fall. The buttery flavors like scopex work better in the summer.




Most carp fishermen carry several jars of flavored corn with them and often discover by trial and error what works best. When you find that flavor that works, get ready for some hot action!

No comments:

Post a Comment