Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Rucksack or Fishing Bag?


How do you carry your gear to the bank? Most fishermen these days are either using some type of bag or a rucksack. Up until this past year, I was a "bag" type of guy. But, this year I switched to a rucksack and I like it.

Rucksacks are the UK's version of a US knapsack. I purchased a Nash Hooligan 45 rucksack last year. I was looking to make it to the bank in one trip with all my gear and figured the rucksack was the way to go. The rucksack has the added bonus of allowing a fishermen to walk a long distance while comfortably carrying all the gear that is supported on two shoulders. My sack has a bunch of pockets (as they all do) on the sides and front for storing boxes of gear like hooks, leads, scales, rig pouch, stops, scissors, hooklink, baiting needles, etc. I like to keep my jars of maize and other bait in the main compartment. I is roomy enough to also fit a small method bowl and my lunch and maybe even extra clothing. When walking to far away spots, I also stick in a couple of banksticks with alarms in the main compartment. I also have set up hiker's hooks in the sack's rings to clip on my unhooking mat and weigh sling. You could never fit all that gear into a bag.

If you are thinking about purchasing some tackle storage before the start of the next season, consider a rucksack.

No comments:

Post a Comment