Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Making In-line Leads






I use a lot of 3 oz. in-line leads for carp fishing in many of the big rivers here in southern New England. I also lose a lot of them so it becomes an expensive proposition. So, I have been on a quest to make my own.
First problem....could not find a place in the US that sells the molds needed to do it. However, I found a great online store in the UK that sells these molds and ships to the US at a reasonable price. It is called The Tackle Box. The mold I bought was a CJT in-line flat pear bomb, code 10240, website, http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/catching-em/terminal-tackle/lead-making/ (see pic at right). It is a single, small mold that is held together by clamps or pliers. Before pouring, a rod is inserted into the mold which forms the inside hole that houses the insert. Once the lead is poured, the rod is pulled out. It's a very simple procedure.
Once my leads are all made, I paint them with a brown or green powder paint that produces a real durable finish.
The final step involves placing an insert into the lead that will hold your line and swivel. You may have to trim the elongated part of the insert for a good fit. Finally, I place a tail rubber on top of the insert section to complete my lead.
While molding leads are not for everyone, this can save you a bundle if you use and lose a lot of them. The Tackle Box also has many other types of lead molds that you can't find in the US. Check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment