Friday, January 7, 2011

Cold, Ice and Snow...And Carp Hitting!



Nothing like a few carp in Jan. to cure cabin fever. I went out scouting around this week and baited up some spots that had open water. Looks like I picked the right spot to fish today as I came away with 2 commons and a mirror today, my best Jan. outing. Take a look at two of those fish sitting in the net in a pile of snow.


I would never have believed I would have caught a fish today. Snow covered the shoreline, there was some ice along the edge of the water, and it stayed below freezing as I sat in a pile of snow watching my lines. Yet, the fish were active. Oh, there were no screaming runs but lots of taps and gentle takes, typical of carp feeding in cold water. As usual, pineapple flavored sweet corn (no method) hair rigged on small hooks did all the damage.


Yes, carp can be caught in January for any nut who wants to get out and try.

3 comments:

  1. Nicely done, Dave. Splendid winter fish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dave,
    Nice winter fish. I am a semi-local from Scituate, MA who is getting pretty excited for his first season of carp fishing. Been fishing for stripers, largemouth, pickerel, pike, and lake trout my whole life, yet somehow the sport of carp fishing has eluded me until now. Since stumbling upon and reading almost the entirety of your blog, I have been getting pretty pumped for my first carp fishing trip this spring. I have a couple specific questions for you and would really appreciate it if you could find the time to drop me a quick line at nickpestone@gmail.com
    Thanks Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave - Love the pics of carp in the snow! I've caught them in every month except December and January. Great pictures!

    Eric
    Carp Fishing in Pennsylvania - www.ecabbage.com

    ReplyDelete