Friday, March 18, 2011

Know the Laws at this Time of Year

I had an interesting experience tonight as I was questioned by a DEM officer while fishing for carp. I was fishing the Blackstone Canal as I frequently do at this time of year. Apparently, someone called in the DEM to report me fishing in trout stocked waters. (No doubt it was a misinformed trout junkie (yes, lots of them around)) Of course, I was doing nothing illegal as the upper canal in Lincoln is not stocked with trout and therefore is not closed to fishing. I was also using corn which was questioned by the DEM officer. The corn thing was later cleared up by a DEM supervisor and I was cleared of any wrong doing. The DEM officer was very polite and apologetic, checked my license, wished me luck and was on her way. Just doing her job as all calls to the DEM have to be followed through.
So, here are the rules you need to know for early season carp fishing in RI:
1. Carp fishing is permitted in any places not stocked with trout prior to Opening Day of trout season. Opening Day only applies to trout fishing. There is a listing on the DEM site of all stocked waters.
Quote from abstracts:
1.1 The open season on all species of trout, salmon, and charr shall close annually
on the last day of February at midnight and shall commence at 6:00 AM on the
second Saturday in April annually

2. The corn rule states that corn is illegal to use in trout stocked waters
Quote from abstracts:
1.9 The following activities shall be PROHIBITED:
a. Using corn for bait in any designated trout waters

3. One more reminder....if you are fishing at this time of year, you need a 2011 license. The old, 2010 one, expired at the end of February.

Know the rules if you are fishing at this time of year. Uninformed people may be watching and phoning the DEM.

No comments:

Post a Comment