Friday, August 5, 2011

Dog Days of August

We are in the dog days of August.  It is the slowest time of the year for carp fishing.  But, there are fish still hitting, and you can still catch carp in August here in RI (see pic of one I got this morning).  While you will catch reduced numbers, I think carp fishing is still one of your best fishing bets here in RI if you are a saltwater or freshwater fisherman.  I have been out the last 5 days and have averaged two fish an outing.  Some of these fish have been decent, running into the low teens. I am also getting other carp hits, fish on and horned pout when fishing in the evening.  It's not hot fishing, but the fish are still hitting in this heat.
My go to bait has been sweet corn on the hair rig.  I'm using my own flavored sweet corn with tutti-fruitti and pineapple being the hot flavors.  I'm also prebaiting with field corn any areas that I am fishing.  It has made a big difference in my success.

4 comments:

  1. i been trying out your pineapple vodka on the carps, doest seem too have no affect where i fish at i dont know if it the hot weather or they dont seem have a taste for it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing about flavors is that some work in certain places and others don't. Try one rod with flavored corn and the other with unflavored or a different flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi... that was great stuff.. I really like reading on this subject Could you tell me more on that... I love to explore. Carp Fishing France .

    ReplyDelete