Tuesday, March 13, 2012

First HOGS of the Year Landed

The large fish are now biting.  I'm catching them, and others are also reporting catching them in various parts of the state.  Credit the big warm up that we are having this past week for getting the big fish moving into the shallows and feeding.  Prior to this week I had been catching good numbers of carp in moving water.  These were mostly small fish under twelve pounds.  However, in the last week, I've gotten about a half dozen fish that went between 15 and 26 lbs.  At the right is my biggest for the week at 26 lbs.  It had a huge gut on it but was a fairly short fish.  All my fish this week have been caught on pineapple flavored Pescaviva (sweet corn) fished ahead of a method ball.  The best fishing time of the day for me has been the warmest part, around mid day. I've also been trying at night and have taken a couple of fish, another sign that fishing is heating up.
With warm weather forecast right into next week, expect the good carp fishing to continue.  Hey, there's a ton of guys out there twiddling their thumbs waiting for Opening Day of trout season to arrive.  Why not give carp fishing a try?  You can legally fish right now in any state waters that are not stocked with trout.

1 comment: