Monday, April 2, 2012

Change in Strategy Leads to Hot Fishing

For two days in a row I blanked....nothing, not even a hit.  So, today I made a big change and it paid off as I landed 6 mirrors in a short amount of time.
We are in the midst of a real cold spell.  In one big water spot I have been fishing, the water temperature last week was 62 degrees.  Two days ago it was 42 degrees. The water temperatures have fallen off a cliff and it has turned off the fish big time.  So, in this cold weather we had today I figured I would change strategy and fish some of my winter and early spring locations, places I fished back in late February and early March. These tend to be small, shallow water spots that heat up quickly when the sun comes out. Even though it was cold today (mostly 40's) the fish were still active in these "small" spots.  I also went back to using pineapple flavored Pescaviva, a bait I was using back in the winter. I wasn't using Pescaviva during the warm spell of a week ago, but it was back and producing today.
Carp fishing is always a changing game as the year moves along....spots change, baits change, tactics change and you have to keep up with these changes if you want to consistently catch.

No comments:

Post a Comment