Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sweet Corn/No Method Way to Go in Winter

I had yet another real good day of carp fishing today.  The weather was on my side with warm temperatures last night and above average warmth today.  It was the ticket to getting the carp in a feeding mood.  It worked as I landed 6 carp in just a few hours.  I had three mirrors and three commons that ranged from 5-13 lbs. (see pic of one of them at right).
A bait pattern is emerging from my last two good outings that yielded a total of 11 fish.  Nearly all the fish were taken on sweet corn on the hair rig with no method.  As many of you know, I am a big fan of using method mix, and I use it just about all the time during spring, summer and fall.  But, once winter comes along that big offering of bait does not seem to turn them on.  In the last two outings, I tried to bait up one outfit with just sweet corn on the hair rig.  The other outfit had the sweet corn plus the oatmeal based method packed around the sinker.  Of those 11 fish I caught, 9 of them went for the offering with no method.  I have seen this same thing happen in past winters where the method seems to be a turn off.  Maybe the carp are just looking for a smaller offering as their feeding activity decreases greatly in the cold water.
One more note here....the inexpensive Stop and Shop Value sweet corn continues to score just as well as the expensive pineapple flavored Pescaviva.  Because of that, I will probably be fishing the rest of the winter with the Value sweet corn.  Maybe the Pescaviva  makes a difference in the spring, but right now it doesn't seem to matter which sweet corn you are using.

No comments:

Post a Comment