Monday, March 18, 2013

Unexpected

This has been a poor last few days of carp fishing for me with the cold weather really cooling off the fishing.  So, I wasn't expecting much last evening as I headed out for a couple of hours of fishing with temperatures hovering around freezing.  In fact, I didn't even take my net along since I didn't think I'd get any fish.  Well, I have to tell you that I was quite surprised at the results.  They were hitting!
In  the last hour I fished I landed 3 mirrors and 2 commons.  These fish were all taken on hair rigged sweet corn.  My best producing bait combo was a kernel of regular sweet corn along with a kernel of pineapple flavored Pescaviva fished off a hair rig with no method. In the past I have had good success in the early part of the season with that bait combo.
From experience I will tell you that you just never know how fishing will turn out at this time of year.  Yes, it's a crap shoot.  Sometimes they hit in the cold, and sometimes they don't.  Tonight they were.  The last three evenings they weren't.  So, I guess the message here is that you just have to get out and fish and hope for the best.

7 comments:

  1. That's some good advice there. I should be in Plymouth Ma in April for a month, do you know of any good fishing within an hour or so of the area?

    Thanks,
    Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard rumors that there are carp in the Taunton River. I have no specifics. It would take some exploring to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no problems dropping into RI for some fishing, any areas you suggest a look at?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in MA, near the merrimack and concord rivers which both have large carp in them. My question is where should I be targeting them on a river. are they usually out deep, or close to shore. i know its a vague question, I just want to be more productive this year. Most of my catches seem to be from luck. I did have a lucky spot at the base of a small waterfall but they shut the boat launch down and shore fishing is prohibited there due to private property.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You want to target deep, slow moving places. The Merrimack is tricky because of the fast currents and fluctuations in the water levels. Also, you want to REALLY prebait the area you are fishing, sometimes for several days in advance if possible. Move around. Some places are productive, some are not. It takes a lot of time to find those productive places. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the advise what do you prebait with

    ReplyDelete
  7. I generally prebait with corn in places that are not stocked with trout. Others use ground bait that they purchase in online stores.

    ReplyDelete